Monday 26 August 2013

Gap Year Plans

While I'm writing this post, I'm sat in a picturesque location of the Lakeland fells.  I'm in Blencathra Field Centre, completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh residential, at the moment I'm waiting for everybody else to arrive (which they will do at 3.30pm).

I decided about 2 weeks before results came out that I'd really like to complete a Gap Year before going to University.  Law is a really intense course, and career, to go into, so I've decided that if I want to go travelling, I'm only really going to have this one opportunity to do so.

So, I'm going to talk you through a few of my plans. 

Firstly, next year, for a few months the title of this blog is going to change.  I'm planning on walking all 214 of Arthur Wainwright's fells in just over 2 months, wild camping and B&Bing my way around the beautiful Lake District.  And, every week or so, I'll be logging on and talking about the routes I've taken, the weather, the views, etc.  I can promise some stunning scenery!

This is all training.  By the end of the year, I'm hoping to have completed the 3 peaks challenge; have gone to Sicily with my sister to climb Mount Etna; and train up my school's teams for the Ten Tors Challenge.  Maybe I could have another go at the Gold challenge if they need a reserve.

Other things I'm planning on doing are learning to play the violin (something I've wanted to do for years, but have never got around to) and getting shed-loads of work experience.  The ideal would to get a 3 or 6 month contract for a firm, and do basic secretarial tasks (and get paid) but that's so incredibly unlikely to happen.  So, work experience in the day, and a part time job in the evenings to fund the rest of the challenges that I take on.

That's more or less everything I have at the moment :)  Lots more to think about, and I need to get some of these plans finalised.  Most importantly, I'm going to be keeping September 2014 free in order to complete my University application and LNAT.  Excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment