Tuesday 6 May 2014

New Kit: Helly Hansen Base Layer


I've been on an extended shopping spree for new kit over the last 6 months, and my next few posts will be based on what I've bought.
My most recent purchase is my base layer by Helly Hansen, called "Lifa."  I went for "magenta" on top and black on bottom.  It's a fantastic piece of kit, I bought the set (top and bottom) for £39.00 from Cotswold Outdoor, and I'm really pleased with it.  I chose it over the alternatives for a couple of reasons: as a wicking layer, it moves sweat away from the skin - so it will keep me really cool when it's hot, but also keeps me dry so that I don't get cold either.  This will be ideal for my walking in the Lake District, as it always rains, at least for a little bit, every day.  Something that you can't really see from the picture is that this is a mesh-type fabric, and not a lycra-type fabric like people often use when out running.  This makes it a lot more breathable, once again keeping me dry.  Let me quote what it says on the box: "Dry Equals Warmer! The key to staying warm, is keeping your skin dry.  While traditional baselayer fibers hold moisture next to your skin, Lifa Stay Dry Technology moves the moisture away from the skin, keeping you warm, dry and comfortable".  That pretty much sums it up really.
The other reason I went for this particular product is because its able to be used as both an extra layer to wear under my other kit, but can also be worn as an outer layer on its own, when it's warmer.  When I go walking, I like to look chic, and don't like my layers flapping around, so this is ideal for me.


The picture above is me in my 'old' kit, planking on the top of "Sail"- one of Wainwrights peaks in the Lake District, a walk that I completed last Summer from Braithwaite, where we stayed at the lovely Farm House cottage in the centre.  Credit for this photo goes to a good friend of the family, Paul Taylor, who joined my dad, my dog - Zorro - and I on the walk with his wife Jenn and adorable dog, Fluke.  We walked all the way to Grassmoor (not Grasmere, might I add), and just got to our destination before it started to rain, so we didn't stay long!

No comments:

Post a Comment