Wednesday 21 May 2014

New Kit: Waterproof Trousers

Over the last few years, I've gone through a number of pairs of waterproof trousers.  As a regular Dartmoor walker due to a rigorous Ten Tors training programme, I have had a number of close shaves with gorse bushes and with barbed wire fences, meaning that I've had a number of waterproof-trouser-casualties.

Tresspass Womens Tutula Trousers (2010-2012)

These were my first pair of proper waterproof trousers, and were fairly decent value.  I think they were about £30 when I first bought them in 2010, and are around the same price now.


Features:
Waterproof: 2000mm
Breathable: 3000mvp (meaning moisture vapour permeability)
Windproof
Size: S

Advantages:
- Lightweight, waterproof, windproof and breathable
- Pockets!  Not something that you get in waterproof trousers very often!
- Straps at the bottom of the trouser allowed it to fit closer to the leg

Problems:
- No zips at the sides meant that they were very difficult to get on over walking boots
- Drawstring pulled out of the waistband after about 10 uses, this could very easily have been my fault, but I think the fact that nothing was there to secure it is a slight flaw to the product

Cause of Death: climbing over razor-wire (which was over a stile) cut open the side

Mountainlife Downpour Womens Overtrousers (2012-2014)

My second pair of waterproof trousers; were fantastic for the first year or so, and then bits and pieces started falling apart.  As far as I can remember, when I bought these they were about £40, and I went for them because I needed a more resilient fabric to battle sharp rocks and brambles.


Features:
Waterproof: Tested to 500mm
Breathable
Windproof
Size: 10

Advantages:
- Zip and poppers up the sides meant that I could pull them on over walking boots
- Heavier-duty material stood up against gorse a little better

Problems:
- The seams split, and not just in the one place; down the inside leg and (embarrassingly) in the crotch area
- Not as waterproof, after about 12 months started to allow water in, despite re-proofing

Cause of Death: The seams fell to pieces and I got fed up with piecing them back together using waterproof tape

Berghaus Womens Deluge Overtrousers (May 2014 - Present)

My brand new waterproof trousers!


Features:
Waterproof
Breathable
Windproof
Size: 10
Weight: 226g

Advantages:
- Side zips open from both top and bottom, which allows venting when it's humid and warm
- Very lightweight!
- 100% nylon ripstop - will hopefully resist tears on this pair

Disadvantages:
- Hopefully none?

No comments:

Post a Comment